Sunday, October 13, 2013

I can't stand people with an entitlement mentality....

“Generosity is impossible apart from our love of God and of His people. But with such love, generosity not only is possible but inevitable.” John MacArthur

If there’s any term that brings about disdain or anger, it’s “entitlement mentality.” It drives most Christians I know around the bend. There’s hardly any other attitude in our contemporary culture that can so frustrate and irritate folk. To be clear, an entitlement mentality is a state of mind in which an individual believes that privileges are instead rights, and that gfits are debts…and are expected. An entitlement mentality is frequently characterized by the following viewpoints: 
It’s a lack of appreciation of the investments and sacrifices of others. For example, those with an entitlement mentality will sometimes criticize the military—failing to acknowledge that it’s that same military who have died in the service of their country, that even ensures that they are free to make such criticisms.

It’s a lack of personal responsibility. Often those with an entitlement mentality refuse to accept personal responsibility for problems of their own making and expect others to solve their problems. Those with an entitlement mentality are frequently unwilling to acknowledge fault or error, and will often devolve into denial.

It’s seen in a refusal to accept that actions carry consequences. For example, addicts, smokers, overeaters and those who are promiscuous want to deny that their behavioral choices have dire outcomes.

It’s seen in a dependency on the assistance and intervention of others to resolve self-induced personal problems. For example, if an adult child gets into legal trouble, it’s assumed their parents will bail them out. If someone is fired for laziness, they assume the government will financially underwrite them, rather than taking responsibility for the job loss or having the initiative to look for another job.

It’s seen in an attitude of ingratitude for what is given. The recipient, with no basis, does not see a gift as a gift but rather as a debt from the giver with the expectation that there should be more “gifts.” Essentially, it’s someone who is focused on their rights and privileges, rather than their personal responsibilities and obligations.  

But the entitlement mentality is so much a part of contemporary culture that many of us are contaminated by it and don’t even know it. For example, every church and charity I know faces this continual scenario. Someone will call them up out of the blue that the church has never heard of and has no relationship with. Yet, due that the fact that individual is calling a church, they believe that the church should help them out, usually monetarily. They believe that the church “owes” them rent or food money, though they are strangers to the church. Add to that, the church has no way of knowing if it’s a legitimate need or if the money will actually go for rent or food…or if it will instead go for drugs or alcohol. Please understand that the Bible teaches that churches and Christians should have compassion and mercy on the poor and disenfranchised, but it’s grace, not a debt or a “right.” It’s not “owed” or should be expected.

So do you have an “entitlement mentality”? Most of us are very quick to answer, “No.” Yet, I believe that we’ve deceived ourselves. Most of us think that God owes us something. We probably would never be so forthright to say that, but our actions reveal our belief system. I have to shamefully admit that I know I’m guilty of believing that God owes me.

It’s not a conscious decision. Yet, I find it when things in my life are not going how I think they should go. If I have relational problems or computer or car issues or face financial pressure, I find that I can become frustrated with my circumstances. And in all honesty, my frustration is really with my Heavenly Father because who do I believe is ultimately in control – God. So the bottom line is that I somehow think He owes me and He’s not taking care of me like He should. When I get sick or just feel bad or am depressed or sad, I can become frustrated with God. Isn’t He supposed to make sure that I walk down Candy Cane Lane and have the minimal amount of issues in my life? I’m entitled, aren’t I? When I become frustrated in traffic or with slow service or shoddy workmanship, don’t I have a right to be angry? Doesn’t God owe me?

Please understand. I’m not suggesting that we “just take it” or be Christian doormats. And as Americans, under our Constitutional government, we do have certain rights. Yet, our exasperation, impatience and anger reveal our worldview that we somehow believe we “deserve” better, that God owes us a better life.

When it comes to God and His justice, God doesn’t owe me anything. Anything, anything that He gives me is out of His grace and mercy. He doesn’t owe me (or you) a great marriage, good kids or even a happy life. Those are just blessings that in His goodness He pours out on me because of His grace. And what He owes me is judgment yet His Son took all that for me and for you on the Cross.

We’ve missed it. We think that God owes us something, yet the biblical fact is that we owe God a debt that we’ll never be able to repay. Our response to God should be what we find in Luke 17:10, “We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.”

We don’t even begin to fathom all that our sin cost God and how repugnant sin is to a holy God. When we begin to see the hideousness of it and the love and grace of God, Romans 12:1 begins to finally make sense, “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.”

It’s when I see my debt, my sin, and what I owe a holy God, I realize that I have no entitlements. Instead I am overcome with gratitude, awe and worship. How can I hold anything back when I have been graced with so much of which not a fraction I was worthy of? How can be anything less than overwhelmingly generous with my Heavenly Father when He has already been so generous with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment