Sunday, March 25, 2018

Who is praying for the children?


“Prayer is the way we take our hands off
and place our children in the hands of God.”  Mark Batterson

  Aaron’s wedding in Taiwan was the answer to generations of prayer. Since each of our three children were born, Jane and I have prayed for two critical concerns; First, that they’d know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. Second, that if it was God’s will for them to marry, that each one would marry someone who loved Jesus. To me, those are the most important decisions anyone will ever make. Whether my children are rich, successful, college graduates, healthy or even happy are all minor matters. It’s also not enough to marry a Christian but it needs to be a committed Christian. Sadly, Christian often means very little. All of us have met someone who is a “Christian,” but acts like anything but a Christian.
  Yet, we are merely another step in a much larger circle. Jane’s grandmother, Bertha, though married to an unbeliever and who had a very difficult life prayed for Jane when she was a little girl. Jane’s parents, Ed and Mary Quick prayed for Jane, for me and for each of our children along with their other children and grandchildren. My grandmother, Cora Carson, when I knew her, could hardly walk. As a child, I remember her shuffling from room to room in her little house. Years earlier she’d broken her back. My grandparents were some of the poorest people I’ve ever known. I still remember what a huge deal it was when they finally got a phone...in the other room and it was a party line. But “Ma Ma” could pray and she faithfully prayed for me.
  Then, my own Mom (Dorothy Carson) lived with a wealthy, yet abusive husband. When my Mom was killed in a tragic car accident when I was 10, I immediately lost virtually every memory of her including the sound of her voice. But there’s one memory that’s indelibly tattooed on my soul. Every morning when I got up, I’d find my Mom drinking coffee out of her lime green cup and her open Bible. There is no question in my mind that I am where I am today in answer to her prayers.
  Our hearts break at the violence in our schools. But it’s not just the tragic shootings, many children go to school terrified. No one seems to talk about those who are frightened to walk home or to be in their own home, often government housing where they must literally fortify themselves.
  No one seems to ever ask: Who is praying for the children? While we often feel helpless, there’s something we can all do — we can pray! It shows the ignorance of our secularized world of the omnipotency of God and prayer, that when prayer is mentioned to face current cultural crises, it’s often scoffed at. It’s become trendy to do “prayer shaming.” While there is a time for action, all actions are impotent apart from God’s hand. For the Christian, prayer must be our first response and action.
  One fact sticks out to me. It’s a sad yet common thread even in the Church — those who are known as being faithful “pray-ers” today are typically women. That’s not the picture that we find in Scripture. Great men of the Bible were often great men of prayer; Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Daniel, Paul…to name a few. The Lord Jesus was so habitual in prayer that His disciples noticed and asked Him to teach them to pray. Men, the greatest thing we can do for our families generally and our children and grandchildren specifically is to pray for them. My mentor, Dad Cummins, was a man of prayer. Even today I can hear his deep voice interceding for me and so many others. As a Dad, I feel both humbled and privileged when my now adult children ask me to pray for them.
  What should we pray? A child’s greatest need is obvious. It’s salvation. Why would we pray for physical safety or health without spiritual safety? We’re talking about this vaporous life compared to eternity. Do you love your children? Grandchildren? The place to start is to pray for their regeneration. Too often we’re presumptuous about the spiritual condition of our children. If there’s no evidence of new life with an adult child, there should be no confidence based on a childhood prayer and decision. James 2 is clear that if there’s new life, there’s an accompanying lifestyle.
  Then, pray for that which ultimately matters. Our most common prayer is for the safety of our children. Yet, in the eternal scheme of things, it’s such a minimal need. In our own lives, it was “danger” that often drove us to the Lord. It’s danger and difficult times that often bring about spiritual growth. King David would never have been a “man after God’s own heart,” if he’d not faced great danger and trials. So, pray for their spiritual growth. Pray for them to resist temptation. Pray that they have a life of Christlikeness.
  As a church, we’re a family. Do you pray for the children of our church? Are their parents your friends? Then, pray for them specifically by name. Pray for their parents. Pray for spiritual blind spots you may see. Frequently, we are quick to share unsolicited advice. Let’s start by praying for them. It’s been so fulfilling many times over the years to pray for a spiritual blind spot in a friend’s life. Then, struggling, wondering if I should say something but then wonderfully see God’s divine hand resolve it. Yet, all I did was pray!
  Finally, what about our extended families? Cousins, nieces and nephews? And don’t forget the neighborhood children. Often, we may see needs their parents fail to see. Do we shake our heads or worse, gossip? I wonder what would happen in our world if at least the Christians were praying for the children? Then, I must wonder what would happen if I were praying? Who’s praying for the children? Will it be YOU?

Can we help you spiritually? Can we help you know Jesus better? Please check out more resources on our church's web page, Gracechurchwi.org. Or, call us at 262.763.3021. If you'd like to know more about how Jesus can change your life, I'd love to mail you a copy of how Jesus changed my life in "My Story." E-mail me at Carson@gracechurchwi.org to request a free copy. Please include your mailing address. 

No comments:

Post a Comment