Sunday, January 3, 2021

Was 2020 a Root Canal?

“Do I learn through dark providences, 
or simply seem relieved when they are over?”  Sinclair Ferguson
 
  A man went to his dentist for a root canal. The dentist made him comfortable and injected a numbing agent around the tooth, then left the room for a few minutes to allow the medication to take effect. But when the dentist returned he found the patient standing next to the tray of instruments. The dentist asked, “What are you doing by my surgical instruments?” Without looking up, continuing to focus on his task, the patient replied, “I’m taking out the ones I don’t like.” 
  So if you had the power, what would you do with 2020? What parts would you take out? Many of us would eradicate it. But does that line up with a biblical worldview? Do we really believe that God is sovereign? Do we believe that God is in control, even of years that from our perspective are as horrible as 2020?
  Nobody likes hard times. I know that I don’t. Yet, I know that as I look back on my life, the times that I have grown the most spiritually, the times when I’ve grown closer to God…haven’t been the easy times. They’ve been when I’ve walked through the fire, through deep waters. You’ll find that nearly every believer who has been walking with the Lord for any length of time will say the same thing. And while I don’t want a repeat of 2020, I don’t want to forget the lessons. I want them to be ingrained in my soul. I want them to help me walk closer to Jesus and trust Him more.
  During this pandemic it’s easy to see bad things happening all around us. However, with a biblical view on our circumstances, it may become clearer that what God could be doing during this time of taking things away is actually giving us something wonderful and eternal - Himself! So, here are some things that I’ve learned (you’ve probably learned them too). 
  The most precious people on the planet are the ones that live closest to me (or used to live with me). Spouses, family, children, parents, relatives, close friends, roommates, etc. are people that we care for the most. During this pandemic, I’ve realized anew how blessed I am to be married to Jane Carson. Her love for the Lord, her faith, and joy has helped encourage my own love for the Lord, faith, and joy. Living with someone and seeing them at their best and worst gives us a sense of care and compassion that can’t be adequately expressed. This pandemic has helped us to not take our spouses and children for granted. The ache of not seeing my son and daughter-in-law has only been increased by not being able to see them. Too often I take those closest to me for granted. Yet, when things get serious, I wanted them all close. I want to make certain that they’re all okay.
  Gathering as a church family is one of the most undervalued and underappreciated events in the whole world. This is the first time in most of our lives (since getting saved) that we’ve not been able to be with our brothers and sisters each week. It’s unnatural. It’s discouraging. It’s debilitating. Prior to this, we failed to value how important it is to be with other believers regularly. It’s a blessing that we have the technology to broadcast our services, yet the digital world doesn’t have skin on it. It doesn’t wrap an arm around another believer as you pray with them. It misses the nuances of a smile or a tearing eye. It misses the vital part of a maturing Christianity, giving as well as receiving. But we didn’t realize how much we were gaining from being with the “family” until we weren’t.
  Being busy gives us a false sense of accomplishment while stillness feels deceptively like idleness. When we’re running to work, school, events, etc., and are constantly on the move, we feel like we’re accomplishing something­ but often without much to show for it. Our overly busy lives have taught us to disdain times where we’re sitting still and in the same place. This season has been a lesson for us that busyness is not the same as accomplishing what has significance. It needs to teach us something that we easily forget – God did not create us to be human “doers,” but human “beings.” Being somewhere and being with someone supersedes doing.
  Petty disagreements and the little things that tend to consume us are even pettier and smaller when compared to eternity. Many of us either abandoned social media, limited it, or unfollowed neg-aholics. Yet, when I think about the things that have caused strife among friends or even in the church, they’re generally very small matters that were blown out of proportion. When you compare them to eternity, most aren’t worth the breath to speak them or the energy spent to post them on social media. Were they worth our time or energy at all? Are they worth our time now? What value are they in this world if they have no bearing on the one to come?
  I’m a lot more selfish than I thought I was and not nearly as patient as I thought that I was. When you can’t go where you want to go or do what you want to do, you find warm emotions rising up that are a bit shocking. Why does not being able to go to a coffee shop or movie or travel freely matter so much to me? Why was I so obsessed when this all started to see how far the numbers went up each day as if watching to keep score in a tragedy? It was easy to forget that those weren’t just numbers, they’re people. So, I want to learn to be more thankful for what I do have. I want to learn to be more aware and compassionate, especially for those experiencing loss firsthand. 
  No one is guaranteed tomorrow, and as much as I try to understand that I still don’t get it. Though I know better, I still live my life like I will always have a future on this earth. I think about next week, next month, and next year like they’re guaranteed dates on my calendar. But the psalmist speaks into my heart by turning focus for the day I have. “This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it” (Ps. 118:24). While we need to wisely plan, God has only given us today to use. Too often I’ve wasted today assuming I’ll have tomorrow. 
  This life is short and there are many ways to squander it, but only one way to redeem it – Love Jesus with your whole life, and love Him above all else. It really is a straight and narrow path but the road that leads to destruction is broad and too many go down it. Yet, it’s not as difficult to find as it is to maintain. Yet, I’m so easily distracted by the trivial. If I learn nothing else from 2020, I want to learn this and never forget it: “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain!” (Phil. 1:21). 
  I don’t want to repeat 2020 but I don’t want to forget it. How about you?

Can we help you spiritually? Can we help you know Jesus better? Please check out more resources on our church's web page, Gracechurchwi.org. Or, call us at 262.763.3021. If you'd like to know more about how Jesus can change your life, I'd love to mail you a copy of how Jesus changed my life in "My Story." E-mail me at Carson@gracechurchwi.org to request a free copy. Please include your mailing address. 

2 comments:

  1. when I go to the dentist, I get laughing gas!! there is a reason for that! insightful blog.... would love to have a good chat over this material.... in the long run, learning to live by the old song 'Day by day..' accepting as from a Father's hand, its part of pain and pleasure believing Rom. 8:28.. HE MEANS IT for good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to follow-up, unfortunately your comment comes us as anonymous, so I don't know who this is. Please email me directly at carsonbygrace@gmail.com so that I can follow up with you. Thanks!

      Delete