Sunday, December 1, 2019

Worse than Christmas Shopping!



“There are two ways of spreading light.
Be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.”
                                                                                                   Edith Wharton

How do you feel about Christmas shopping? Perhaps you’re a cyber shopper, so it’s not a huge deal. Yet, even for the avid cyber shopper, there are a few items that you still have to venture out to purchase.
  Amanda MacFarlane wrote an article, 5 Reasons Why I Hate Christmas Shopping. She writes: “I am all about cute holiday traditions. However, scrambling to find ‘the perfect gift’ just isn't very cute. It’s become a running joke of mine to say that Christmas shopping is just going to a store, listening to Mariah Carey approximately 2,000 times, and questioning your buying decisions until you start wondering how well you know your loved ones. Call me a Grinch, but for ‘the most wonderful time of the year,’ Christmas has a big flaw called gift giving. I could give you a list as long as Santa’s filled with reasons why I dread this holiday tradition every year, but here’s the big five.” 
  1. It’s expensive. 2. It’s time consuming. 3. I never know what to gift people. 4. I never know how much to gift people, and 5. No matter how well-organized you are, there will always be a last minute gift to buy.
  I love her conclusion: “Here’s a bedtime story for you: ‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, because everyone was at Macy’s frantically getting a gift for their cousin Steve…” What I should be doing on Christmas Eve is sitting by a fireplace drinking hot cocoa, not being told that the store will close in 15 minutes over the loudspeaker.”
  Do you know what’s worse, a whole lot worse, than being a Christmas shopper? Being a clerk at a store waiting on Christmas shoppers. Most of them are working long hours. Many stores open early in the morning and then are open until midnight. Some are open 24 hours during the holidays.
  Put yourself on the other side of that counter for a moment. These employees are tired. Their customers are tired. The children of their customers are tired. Then, there are always those extra special blessings – Mr. Grinch and Mrs. Scrooge – who are unhappy and committed “missionaries of misery” who feel it is their mission in life to make everyone around them miserable, too.
  Are you like me? I appreciate it when clerks wear name tags so that I can engage them in conversation by their name. Not too long ago I was at Sam’s Club. The clerk who waited on me looked like she was carrying the weight of the world. As she waited on me, I asked “Chris, how’s your day going?” Her response caused me to almost audibly gasp, “I’m just so depressed.” I quickly responded as she was called away to help another customer, “I’m a minister. I’ll pray for you, Chris.” That encounter weighed heavily on my heart all night. Even now it brings tears to my eyes.
  One of my favorite parts of Christmas are Christmas lights! When our children were small, we’d drive around looking at lights (we still do). I love Christmas lights! During this hectic, frenetic, even insane Christmas season – can I challenge you with something? Bring the light!
  Isn’t that what the Lord Jesus did as He entered space and time that first Christmas? Our Lord brought light to a dark world. Later, in His adult life, Jesus said, “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12).
  But it doesn’t end there. If you’re a Christ-follower, then you are to light your world. Jesus said in Matthew 5:14-16: “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
  I had a bring the light moment recently. It was in a hospital room but Jesus was there – and I was the one who had His light shared with me. Recently, our church’s now “retired” secretary, Patti Hall, had to be hospitalized. I popped up to pray with her and encourage her BUT I was the one encouraged…and Patti consistently does that for others. As I entered the room, Patti’s kindness, though she was the patient, with her nurse was so touching. If she hadn’t been lying flat on her back with tubes running out of her arm, I’d have thought that we were visiting in her family room. I went to encourage her and be a blessing to her, but I was the one who was encouraged and blessed by her! That’s what Christians are commanded to do. You and I are to leave every place we go a little brighter because we brought His light with us.
  Have you ever noticed that light shines brightest where it’s darkest? It doesn’t take a lot. Sometimes we shine when we simply restrain ourselves. Someone cuts us off in traffic or nearly runs us over with their shopping cart, perhaps they inadvertently cut in front of us at the check-out line, or it’s a new cashier that’s frazzled and having a hard time keeping up.
  Instead of complaining or giving them a piece of our mind, ask God for His peace and power to control your tongue and attitude. Then, notice the clerk’s name, use it and have a short encouraging conversation. Maybe bring some perspective that this is all temporary or add humor.
  If you have to take something back or if the store is out of an item, be gracious. Mistakes happen. It’s doubtful, too, that the one waiting on you is the one who made the blunder. Be kind even when there’s an error.
  If you have children, try to not take them out when they’re tired or hungry. Pay attention to them so they’re not running around, bothering other shoppers or store employees.
  And if a clerk gives you good service, make sure that you tell a manager or head cashier. Post it on the store’s Facebook wall or send them an email. Most easily complain. Few take the time to compliment.
  The Lord Jesus came as the light of the world. As His followers, let’s bring His light and spread it around this Christmas with those who may need it the most!


Can we help you spiritually? Can we help you know Jesus better? Please check out more resources on our church's web page, Gracechurchwi.org. Or, call us at 262.763.3021. If you'd like to know more about how Jesus can change your life, I'd love to mail you a copy of how Jesus changed my life in "My Story." E-mail me at Carson@gracechurchwi.org to request a free copy. Please include your mailing address. 

No comments:

Post a Comment