Monday, February 6, 2017

I confess...I'm a Fair Weather Fan


“I’m such a fair weather fan, 
I disown my team when they almost lose.”

  In spite of all my “trash talking” for the past few weeks, I have to confess that I’m a fair weather fan. I do hope the Falcons win this afternoon. And I’m in good company…it’s easy to hate Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.
  I’m sure it helps you to love football if you actually played. My Dad prohibited us from playing, explaining that he’d seen too many middle-aged men suffering from lifelong football injuries. Then, when I was growing up, the Falcons were a fairly young team (the franchise began in 1965) and they just weren’t very good. The only players who stand out in my mind from that era are Tommy Nobis and Greg Brezina.
  While my Dad actually had season tickets for at least one season, he wasn’t an avid fan. Though he watched college football on Saturdays (University of Georgia), I don’t recall an NFL game ever being watched in our home. Add to that, because I was part of Independent Baptist churches for much of my life and we always had Sunday night services, until 1996, I’d never actually watched a Super Bowl. We were often guilt-tripped into coming to church instead of watching the game with slogans like “Super Christians come to church on Sunday on Super Bowl Sunday.” So the next day when everyone was talking about the big game or the commercials, I didn’t have a clue what they were talking about.
  There are lots of fair weather fans. Falcon fans are notorious for being a bit fair weather. It’s always easier to cheer for a winner, but tough to hang in there for a loser. Pardon my potential blasphemy: Does it really matter?  
  It’s great to cheer for a team and enjoy them, but if they win or lose, does it alter your life? Will it truly make a difference? Some fans are actually depressed for several days when their team loses. Some get into fights and even riot if their team loses. It’s just a game. And as our Cub fan friends reminded us for over a century, “there’s always next year.”
  Something far more serious though is a “fair weather Christian.” Be honest. What does it take to sidetrack you in your Christian life? For most of us, very little. Why is that?
  Primarily, it’s because many of us have never developed a theology of suffering. Somehow we naively think that in this life we’ll have smooth sailing. In many ways, when we trust Christ as Savior and know that we’re going to Heaven someday, we expect Heaven now. We’d probably never actually say that, yet it’s often bubbling somewhere just below the surface.
  We’re as confused about God and how He works as Job’s friends were. Many think that if things are going well, no one’s sick, there’s little or no suffering, then we must be pleasing God and doing the right thing. We quickly thank God for His blessings and protection, as if they’re signs that He’s on the job and we’re doing the right thing. Yet, when things go bad, we tend to think, “What did I do wrong?” Or, become judgmental of others when they have trials, as Job’s friends did, assuming when bad things happen to someone, it’s some type of divine Karma. Some are so confused that they think that God owes them? None of this is what Scripture teaches.
  Jesus promised Heaven to those who trust Him as their Lord and Savior, but not in this life. He clearly warned us, “In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). This world is the closest thing to Heaven unbelievers will ever experience; it’s the closest thing to hell believers will ever know. Sin and suffering are inevitable for even God’s people in this life. The reason we choose to be faithful and not succumb to fair weatherness is that we’re confident that all the suffering is temporary. No matter how horrible it is, it’s transitory.
  Today your life may seem like hell, but it isn’t. Hell never ends. All of our present suffering will end, decisively, once and for all. Periodically, we wonderfully have foretastes of Heaven now, but once we experience Heaven, it will last forever. Our hope is to view today in light of tomorrow. “We are looking forward to new heavens and a new earth” (2 Peter 3:13).
  Recently, I went to the dentist to have some cavities filled. If you’re like me, going to the dentist to have work done is one of your least favorite things in life. Yet, it wasn’t too bad. I’d asked beforehand how long my appointment would take and was told an hour. An hour isn’t very long…I can endure nearly anything for an hour. Plus, I have a great dentist who’s very careful to make procedures as pain free as possible.
  Every heartbreak in this life is like that. And even in the midst of our harshest pain, the child of God is never alone. Jesus walks with us through the valley of the shadow of death. His grace is sufficient. If that grace was enough for Him on the Cross, surely it’s enough for me and for you.
  As Christians, we know the worst is temporary and fullness of joy awaits us. Hebrews 11 tells us of men and women who did much for God. They persevered because they trusted, knowing the Father had something better for them. They believed His promises in spite of extreme suffering.   
  When Charles Wesley, the great hymn writer, was sailing across the Atlantic after a failed mission trip in the Colonies, a huge storm struck and Wesley was terrified. Yet the Moravians, the evangelical Christians on board, gathered together, prayed and sang some psalms. “Alas,” wrote Wesley in his diary that night, “I have a fair-weather Christianity.” 
  As the inevitable storms crash on your life, trust the Father. Cry to Him for grace and faith to persevere until you arrive Home. Because anyone can be fair weather. God’s fullness of joy, peace and richest blessings are for those who determine to rest in Him and be faithful through the storms. 

Can we help you spiritually? Can we help you know Jesus better? Please check out more resources on our church's web page, Gracechurchwi.org. Or, call us at 262.763.3021. If you'd like to know more about how Jesus can change your life, I'd love to mail you a copy of how Jesus changed my life in "My Story." E-mail me at Carson@gracechurchwi.org to request a free copy. Please include your mailing address.

No comments:

Post a Comment