Sunday, December 3, 2023

The Powerful Habit Every Christian Needs

 

“We can’t starve ourselves spiritually and still expect to grow in the likeness of Christ. All the facets of Scripture – all its rich benefits and blessings – are not available to those who fail or refuse to open it and study.”
John MacArthur
 
Los Angeles Dodgers manager, Tommy Lasorda, once described his battle with bad habits: “I took a pack of cigarettes from my pocket, stared at it and said, ‘Who's stronger, you or me?’ The answer was me. I stopped smoking. Then I took a vodka martini and said to it, ‘Who's stronger, you or me?’ Again, the answer was me. I quit drinking. Then I went on a diet. I looked at a big plate of linguine with clam sauce and said, ‘Who's stronger, you or me?’ And a little clam looked up at me and answered, ‘I am.’ I can't beat linguine.”
  Any new routine takes time to develop a habit and to find a rhythm that works for you. Reading and studying the Bible is the same. Like starting an exercise routine, changing your diet, or spending more quality time with your spouse or family, you must plan. Without a plan it’s just a dream. Here are some questions that you’ll need to work through:
  When will I read the Bible? Look at your schedule and determine when a practical time is each day to meet with the Lord. Don’t be surprised if it varies a bit each day, too. Make it a daily appointment. Very few of us would miss it if we had a breakfast appointment with a best friend, so make your time with the Lord Jesus like that…a daily appointment.
  It doesn’t matter if it’s after work, before bed, in the morning, or on a lunch break. What’s vital is that you have a set time. None of this, “Oh I’ll do it in the morning, but if I’m too tired, I’ll do it before bed.” That’s not how you change habits. You can’t create backup a plan. You need to hold yourself to a planned time, and do it every day, over and over again.
  Where will I have my quiet time? Will you sit at your kitchen table or in that big comfy chair that you love to meet with God? Knowing this helps me gather my supplies and have my quiet time materials ready the night before. I have mine on the couch in our living room and have a prayer list and gratitude journal there along with my Bible. Having it in the same place each day cuts down on distractions. I’m not as easily distracted with a new place because having it at the same place has made all familiar.
  How long should I read the Bible and pray? Reading the Bible is like starting an exercise program. You start small and are successful, and then increase from there. So, a half chapter in one of the Gospels is better than attempting to read an entire book of the Bible in one sitting. Like exercise, it’s daily consistency that makes the difference. Exercising for several hours one day a week won’t help you get in shape. If you’re a parent with children at home, you’ll probably want to meet with the Lord before the rest of the family is up and moving around.
  Unless they’re very young, it can be an opportunity to teach your children a life skill they’ll need the rest of their lives – boundaries. Everyone needs privacy and for others to respect it. Ask them not to disturb you when you’re having your time with the Lord. You might encourage them to have their own quiet time while you’re having yours. 10 or 15 minutes is a great start. If you’re not a reader, then listen to God’s Word using a Bible app.
  I need to make a plan. Have you ever woken up, grabbed your Bible, then just flipped to a random book and started reading? A few weeks later you come back and do the same thing again. By now you’ve read the first chapter of about 5 epistles, random stuff from the book of Judges, a few of Jesus’ parables, and been through the 23rd Psalm 18 times.
  The Bible and its books have a story line. During the month of November, I read the Gospel of John at the pace of two chapters a day, so I was able to read John’s Gospel twice. In December I’m reading the book of Isaiah. Because it has 66 chapters, I’ll try to read four chapters each day so I can go through the whole book twice. I chose to read Isaiah because it has so much prophetic material about the coming Messiah and helps prepare my heart for Christmas. That’s my current plan yet I periodically change it up.
  December might be a great month for you to read one of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke or John). With the exception of Mark, each one has the account of Christ’s first coming and His Incarnation.
  It doesn’t matter how much. Consistency is the key. The One Year Bible is a great start, yet might be too much for you, so take two or three years to read it through. It’s difficult to develop consistency without a plan. If each time you read your Bible, you must think about what you’re going to read, it’s easier to procrastinate. It also keeps you from seeing the context.
  I must prepare my heart. Before I open my Bible, I ask the Lord to open my eyes and reveal Himself to me through His Word and to guide my study time. I ask Him to give me wisdom as I seek Him. I usually begin by thanking Him for loving me, for giving Jesus for all my sins and always being with me. If there’s sin that the Spirit makes me aware of, I claim the promise of 1 John 1:9 and confess it. Or, if I see a truth that He reveals to me in my reading where I need to grow (and there are lots of them), I pray and ask Him to help me make those truths from His Word part of my life.
  Where do I start? Many who want to start reading the Bible begin with Genesis. A benefit for reading the Bible all the way through is that you get a full picture of the depravity of mankind and how desperate each one of us is for a Savior. Yet, a drawback to reading the Bible from start to finish is that the Old Testament can be intimidating with its long list of genealogies. Many find themselves confused and give it all up before Moses parts the Red Sea in Exodus!
  Beginning in the books of the New Testament are a great way to explore Jesus’ life, His sacrifice, and what His free gift of grace means to all mankind. Maybe start with one of the Gospels: Matthew, Luke, Mark, and John, which outline and describe the life of Jesus. It’s a powerful way to walk in Jesus’ shoes and grasp the full picture of His sacrifice.
  Maybe you’re naturally a nice person…I’m not. Some years ago, Christian author, Patsy Clairmont, wrote a book entitled, Sportin' a 'Tude. Without my time with the Lord Jesus each day, I’m easily “sportin’ a tude.” I need Him every moment to change my heart. For me it begins with a spiritual appointment with my Heavenly Father before I start my day!

Can we help you spiritually? Please check out more resources on our church's web page, Gracechurchwi.org. Or call us at 262.763.3021. If you'd like to know more about how Jesus can change your life, I'd love to mail you a copy of how Jesus changed my life in "My Story." E-mail me at Carson@gracechurchwi.org to request a free copy. Please include your mailing address. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment