Tuesday, April 25, 2023

If that's the worst thing...

"Life is 10 percent what you make it 
and 90 percent how you take it.”   
                                                                                            Irving Berlin                                    

 
Well, spring has sprung and it’s allergy season…though it seems like most of my life is allergy season. If we have an early morning meeting, you might suggest that I cut back a pack or two. The first part of my morning is often spent hacking and coughing. That’s often followed by uncontrolled sneezing. And no, I’m not a smoker. I’ve been battling this since I was a child. This year though does seem to be a bit worse.
  Then, my 2012 Camry seems to want to nickel and dime me to the poorhouse. It was in the shop a few weeks ago for an O2 sensor. I didn’t even know that it had an O2 sensor. Apparently, it wasn’t the O2 sensor but the catalytic converter. And did I mention that I’m having to replace my antiquated computer? I’m considering a bank robbing ministry but orange really isn’t my color…besides, Jane refuses to drive…
  In the parable of the Sower, Jesus talks about God’s Word being choked out of our lives. “This is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful” (Matthew 13:22). We tend to focus on the temptation and struggles with riches, probably because for most of us, we don’t think it’s our struggle. We miss though the choking out by “the cares of the world.” That’s the normal life struggles we all go through like car problems, allergies or computers wearing out. The list is endless.
  All of us have those days when we can relate to the Kindergarten teacher who was helping one of her students that was having trouble putting on his boots, and asked his teacher for help. Even with her pulling and him pushing, the boots still didn’t want to go on. Finally they got both boots on. She grimaced when the little boy said, “They're on the wrong feet.”
  Sure enough, they were. The teacher kept her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on - this time on the correct feet. The little boy then announced, “These aren’t my boots.” The teacher sighed and pulled the boots off. The little guy then said, “They're my brother’s boots. My Mom made me wear them.” The teacher felt like crying, but she mustered up the strength to wrestle the boots back onto his feet. “Now,” she asked, “where are your mittens?” The child piped up, “I stuffed them in my boots...”
  If that’s the worst thing that happened to me, I’ve had a good day. Did you know that today 110 people will die in a car accident. Today some 49,000 will receive a cancer diagnosis and today nearly 600,000 will die from some type of cancer. This year nearly 830,000 marriages will end in divorce. Some 37 million Americans over 12 years of age are illegal drug users. 100,000 will die of a drug overdose this year. Those are some of the more common maladies that we face. Probably, this week you’ll hear about a friend or loved one dealing with one of them. Hopefully, it won’t be you.
  Yet, think about the petty stuff we whine about. I’m guilty. The other day I was driving in downtown Burlington and someone began to pull out right in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes. My hand immediately went to my horn. I didn’t want to have a wreck. It was a warm day and my windows were down. And though they were in the wrong, they called me an obscenity. It really ticked me off. I had to pray and ask the Lord to give me a quiet heart because my flesh wanted to give them a piece of my mind (which I can’t afford to lose). But there was no accident. It was just one nasty word from someone who I probably scared, too.
  My point is that most of us need a huge dose of perspective. I know that I can certainly use one from time to time. Most of the things that irritate us, frustrate or anger us – just aren’t that big of a deal – particularly in the grand scheme of things. Most of us get irritated, frustrated or angry because we’re too focused on one person – ourselves. It’s amazing the more we become focused on God’s will and plan, instead of our little inconveniences, the less that the trivial bothers us.
  An indication of this is what are we primarily focused on. Our world is negative and chronically focused on bad news and what’s wrong…and there is a lot of wrong in this world. BUT the God who rules this world has a lot right going on. It’s going on all around us. We just miss it.
  Because we’ve been so contaminated in our outlook by a sin-filled world, we miss what our Heavenly Father is doing and what’s right in the world. A good test of what our outlook is: Do you tend to see what’s wrong or what’s right? Do you see more of the good or bad? Do you focus on the negative or positive?
  We could probably more easily justify being negative if this was all permanent. For the child of God, the very worst of this world is temporary. As a believer, I’ve got a new body waiting for me that doesn’t have allergies. And if you’ve committed your life to Christ, you’ve got a new one waiting for you, too.
  Jesus didn’t just want us to be focused on going to heaven. He wants us to bring heaven or His Kingdom of heaven here. We do that by having His perspective. We do that by seeing God’s hand in this world. We do that by being grateful. We do that by being encouragers and helping others to see God’s working here. You see, my best day wasn’t yesterday and it’s not today. It’s tomorrow! It’s as the blind hymnwriter, Fanny Crosby wrote:

  And I shall see Him face to face,
And tell the story—Saved by grace.
And tell the story—Saved by grace.

  That’s the perspective that we all need because that’s the real world!  

Can we help you spiritually? Please check out more resources on our church's web page, Gracechurchwi.org. Or call us at 262.763.3021. If you'd like to know more about how Jesus can change your life, I'd love to mail you a copy of how Jesus changed my life in "My Story." E-mail me at Carson@gracechurchwi.org to request a free copy. Please include your mailing address. 



No comments:

Post a Comment