Sunday, October 24, 2021

Singing in the Dark


 “Music expresses that which cannot be said  
and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  Victor Hugo

  One of my favorite professors in Bible college was Dr. Edward Burckart. He was a very godly man and truly a gentle soul. Dr. Burckart was a gifted violinist and had studied at Julliard. During World War II he served in the army in Europe as a radar technician and I remember him sharing how the hymns of faith had gotten him through that difficult period of his life. 
  Our Heavenly Father created music. Read the Bible and you’ll find that Scripture is permeated with music. It can be powerful medicine for our souls. As Paul reminded the Colossians believers, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God” (Col. 3:16). While Scripture must be our first resource because it’s God’s inspired Word, godly music is a powerful tool to cry out to God with and can be used to minister to our hearts.
  If you’ve been a believer long then you know that the Christian life is a journey of mountains and valleys. Mountain tops are exhilarating, yet God uses the valleys in our lives for our good, yet they’re rarely pleasant. As I’ve walked through my own valleys, God has often used music to encourage and comfort my soul. Some years ago as we struggled with our son, Ben’s epilepsy, one of my favorite songs became Ron Hamilton’s Rejoice in the Lord. 

God never moves without purpose or plan
When trying His servant and molding a man.
Give thanks to the LORD though your testing seems long;
In darkness He giveth a song.
 

  Hamilton wrote that song immediately after losing an eye to cancer. He went on to use his new eye patch for God’s glory writing several albums geared to children as “Patch the Pirate.” The song is based on Philippians 4:4, “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.” 
  Nearly every pastor goes through dark periods in ministry. I know that I’ve gone through mine. I’ve thought a few times that there must be an easier life and was tempted to leave the ministry. During one of those periods Steve Green’s song, Find Us Faithful shored up my soul. 

O may all who come behind us find us faithful,
May the fire of our devotion light their way.
May the footprints that we leave, lead them to believe,
And the lives we live inspire them to obey.

  When this pandemic first struck, I was in a terrible funk. Remember that the first news reports indicated that many were going to become terribly ill or die. I imagined losing many of my friends. I pictured burying some in our church family (wonderfully we’ve not lost a single person at church to Covid). It weighed very heavily on me and I didn’t sleep well for months. My song for that period was Twila Paris’s, God Is In Control.  

This is no time for fear. This is a time for faith and determination.
Don't lose the vision here. Carried away by the motion.
Hold on to all that you hide in your heart.

There is one thing that has always been true. It holds the world together.
God is in control. We believe that His children will not be forsaken.
God is in control. We will choose to remember and never be shaken.
There is no power above or beside Him, we know, God is in control.
  

  During the past several months Jane and I have been walking through a dark valley. I’m glad that we don’t play records anymore because I’d have worn the record out. God has used two powerful songs to lift up my soul, Casting Crowns, Praise You In This Storm:

I was sure by now God, you would have reached down
And wiped our tears away. Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen," and it's still raining
As the thunder rolls. I barely hear your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you.” And as your mercy falls

I raise my hands and praise the God who gives And takes away.
And I'll praise you in this storm. And I will lift my hands
For you are who you are. No matter where I am.

  Praise You In This Storm was inspired by the band, Casting Crowns,  experience with a young girl, Erin Browning. Right around the time the band connected with Erin and her family, it had been discovered that this little girl had cancer and she soon died. According to lead vocalist Mark Hall, "Watching [Erin's mother] walk through this really showed me truth about my worship. Watching her walk through a real storm showed me that my worship was extremely situational.”

  Just one more…When we go through difficult times and valleys, we feel very alone. I know that I do. Sometimes the pain is so great we can’t share it or fear we’ll lose control of our emotions. During the past few months, the Lord has used Another In The Fire by Hillsong to remind me over and over again that I’m never alone. It’s based on Daniel 3 when three faithful Hebrews, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, are thrown into a fiery furnace by Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon after they refuse to bow down to the king’s idolatrous image.

There was another in the fire. Standing next to me.
There was another in the waters. Holding back the seas.
And should I ever need reminding. Of how I’ve been set free.
There is a cross that bears the burden. Where another died for me.

  Another In The Fire is the personal testimony of worship leader, Chris Davenport, after learning his son had autism. Resolving to go on, despite his feelings and trust God though he was hurting so badly. He shares, “This is what faith's all about. It’s not about a fairy tale. It's not about everything working out. It's about becoming more like Jesus, no matter the cost.” 
  I’m thankful for Christian music. Much of it puts God’s eternal Word to a melody and helps me remember His truth. It’s a well of hope for parched souls. It reminds us to trust Him and keep praising Him. It helps me to keep on singing because I know that my Father truly is in control.

 Can we help you spiritually? Can we help you know Jesus better? Please check out more resources on our church's web page, Gracechurchwi.org. Or, call us at 262.763.3021. If you'd like to know more about how Jesus can change your life, I'd love to mail you a copy of how Jesus changed my life in "My Story." E-mail me at Carson@gracechurchwi.org to request a free copy. Please include your mailing address. 

No comments:

Post a Comment